Georgia 9th Congressional District
- NEW! Monday, May 22, 2017, 6:00 p.m. - Lumpkin County Democratic Party meeting will be at the United Community Bank at 206 Morrison Moore Pkwy, Dahlonega. We begin with a meal followed by speakers. We are honored to have as our guest speakers Michelle Sanchez Jones who was candidate for the state house of representatives in 2016 and currently Vice-President of the Young Democrats of Georgia and Arturo Adame who is Outreach Director for the Young Democrats of Hall County.
Michelle and Arturo will discuss the impact the 287g law (authorizes state and local law enforcement authorities to identify, process and detain immigration offenders) has on the Latino population in Hall County. Currently Hall is one of only four counties in Georgia which has adopted this law. 287g was originally intended for criminals but is now expanded for any kind of minor misdemeanor or traffic stop. Michelle and Arturo will give personal accounts and describe how the law has caused trepidation in the Gainesville Latino community. I look forward to seeing you at this important meeting. Ken Akins, Chairman Lumpkin County Democratic Party.
- NEW! Tuesday, May 30, 2017, 10am to 12 noon - Rally against AHCA, Rep. Doug Collins' office. Collins office is located at 210 Washington St. NW in Gainesville. Doug Collins spearheaded and voted to strip over 20,000 residents of the 9th district of their healthcare while giving an $800 billion tax break to the rich. Rep Collins does NOT represent his people, and we will let him know it! Join us for a rally outside of his office: he won't come to us, so we are going to him! We will stand up for healthcare, decency and humanity.
Come join Democrats from all over the 9th District as we chip away the wall that has come between Collins and his constituents. Ken Akins, Chair, Lumpkin County Democratic Party.
- Friday-Sunday, June 2-4, 2017 - Greensboro, N.C. Camp Wellstone North Carolina.
Camp Wellstone is for those interested in gaining practical skills in progressive political action. Apply for one of three tracks based on your role in progressive organizing: Campaign Management, Candidate, and Grassroots Organizer. Apply here. More about Camp Wellstone.
- NEW! Tuesday, June 6, 2017 - Habersham County Democratic Party Meeting. The HCDP will hold our second quarterly meeting at the library in Cornelia. Special guest speaker will be Rob Mishler, secretary of Greening Georgia Caucus to the Democratic Party of Georgia. Rob will be discussing the Greening Georgia Environmental Caucus and their mission and goals they have planned for Georgia.
We also will be holding a special election to vote on our representative to the Habersham County Election and Voter Registration Board. Nominations will be taken from the floor to fill this position.
Don't forget to check out our new Facebook pages, and like us: www.facebook.com/HabershamDems.
Virginia Webb, HCDP Chair, 706-754-7062, firstname.lastname@example.org
- UPDATED! Thursday, June 15, 2017, 6:00-8:00 p.m. - Gilmer County. You are cordially invited to a Reception Introducing Josh McCall, Candidate for United States House of Representatives,
Georgia District 9. Sponsored by the Gilmer County Democratic Committee.
Water Tower at Coosawattee River Resort, 634 Beaver Lake Dr, Ellijay, GA 30540. $25 per person. Tickets must be purchased by Monday, June 12, 2017.
R.S.V.P. to this e-mail or by calling 706-276-4477, with name and number of tickets to be purchased at the door, or by mail to 36 Mulberry Street, Suite 5, East Ellijay, Georgia 30540. Admittance by prior reservation only.
- NEW! Saturday, June 17, 2017, 5:00-8:00 p.m. - Lumpkin County Democratic Party. Josh McCall Fundraiser: Join us for the Lumpkin County Democratic Party's annual barbecue fundraiser featuring 9th District Congressional candidate Josh McCall to be held at the beautiful home of Larry and Vicki Stouffer at 982 Golden Avenue, Dahlonega.
We will be serving barbecue, hotdogs, with a variety of side dishes, desserts, and drinks. There is limited parking so there will be shuttle service for the convenience of attendees. More details will be provided. We are asking for a minimum recommended donation of $15 per person at the event to cover our costs and help us to financially support our candidates.
Space is limited so RSVP today! RSVP via Eventbrite or directly to Peri Gordon by email at email@example.com or by telephone at 704-691-9615 by not later than 6/10/2017. Tickets are not required for attendance. We have a raindate of 6/24 same place and time.
The event is being co-sponsored by Indivisible Lumpkin and the 9th District Federation of Democratic Women. Ken Akins, Chair, Lumpkin County Democratic Party.
- NEW! Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - Pickens County. Josh McCall, 9th District Democratic candidate for the U.S. House, will speak to Pickens County Democrats on June 20. Check back for time and location to be posted.
- Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 6th Congressional District Runoff Election for U.S. Congress. This election is to replace Rep. Tom Price, who was appointed to a position in the Trump administration. (The 6th District includes north Fulton County and adjacent parts of Cobb County and DeKalb County.)
To help the Democrat, Jon Ossoff, win in the 6th, go to the campaign website for Jon Ossoff.
- Thursday-Sunday, August 10-13, 2017 - Atlanta. Netroots Nation. Register here. Note the "Early Bird Local" fee!
"For more than a decade, Netroots Nation has hosted the largest annual conference for progressives, drawing thousands of attendees from around the country and beyond.
"Our attendees are online organizers, grassroots activists and independent media makers. Some are professionals who work at advocacy organizations, progressive companies or labor unions, while others do activism in their spare time. Attendees can choose from 80+ panels, 40+ training sessions, inspiring keynotes, caucuses, film screenings and lots of networking and social events."
|NEW! Saturday, August 19, 2017, 11:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m. - 9th District. Habersham County Recreation and Aquatic Center.
All Democrats are invited to join the Democratic Party of Georgia’s statewide Summer Tour which will highlight the lessons, victories, energy, and grassroots activism of our Party. Local Democrats, state and local legislators, and affiliates are expected to make a strong showing at each stop. The Habersham Democratic County Committee is pleased to sponsor a regional event as part of the tour.
As the Democratic Party of Georgia continues building a well-oiled GOTV machine, we need every local voter to engage and be a part of the building process. We share the common goal to elect and appoint citizens to serve on all levels of government who are equipped to fight for the rights of everyone. Our focus as a Party is on ensuring those qualified candidates are recruited, trained, elected, and held accountable.
The Party needs the experience and knowledge of every local Democrat if we are going to flip the State of Georgia from red to BLUE. Let’s come together and fight back.