Georgia 9th Congressional District
- NEW! Friday, April 28, 2017, 11:30 am – 2:00 pm - Atlanta. #DisarmHate & Resist the NRA. The NRA convention is in town and Trump is announced as attending! The Georgia Alliance for Social Justice along with partners Better Georgia, Gays Against Guns, Guns Down, Pride Fund to End Gun Violence and more will host a powerful event to take place at the same time as the NRA National Convention's Leadership Meeting taking place at GWCC. Their event will feature such notable figures as: Donald Trump, Kellyanne Conway, Wayne LaPierre, Ted Cruz, David Perdue and more. So attend and be a part of making a powerful, visual statement in Woodruff Park: A Die In. In addition, other participants will have signs with messaging about the NRA's extreme agenda, Trump's connections to the NRA and Campus Carry. (Note: There is also a rally on Saturday, April 29 at 11am, see item below. Sponsored by Moms Demand Action.)
- NEW! Saturday, April 29, 2017, 11:00 am – Atlanta. Stand Up to the NRA. The national NRA convention comes to Atlanta and Atlanta pushes back. They may be frolicking at a fancy hotel, but gun safety advocates will be gathering at Woodruff Park. The fierce Moms Demand Action is organizing so check out the initial FB event page at https://www.facebook.com/events/391395714554807/.
- Saturday, April 29, 2017, 12:30-4:00 p.m. - Atlanta, GA. The DPG Executive Committee is pleased to announce the first GA Blue School of 2017.
Who: Executive Officers of each county committee (Chair, two Vice Chairs, Secretary, Treasurer). Where: IBEW Auditorium; 501 Pulliam Street, Atlanta 30312.
Please plan on having lunch before you arrive and bringing snacks as needed. We have several new officers so this will be similar to the Back to Basics training from 2016—best practices, bylaws, operations, etc.
Click here to register. For planning purposes, please register by Tuesday, April 25.
- Saturday, April 29, 2017 - Washington, D.C. People's Climate March. (Event Facebook page, Georgia Sierra Club). In Washington DC and around the country, we will come together for one massive march to bring our demands to the streets. We will march for our families. We will march for our air, our water, and our land. We will march for clean energy jobs and climate justice. We will march for our communities and the people we love. And we will be louder and stronger than ever before.
There is no denying it: Donald Trump's election is a threat to the future of our planet, the safety of our communities, and the health of our families. He is taking office as the only climate denying world leader and threatening to throw all that progress away. We're ready to fight back. That's why the People’s Climate Movement is seizing the first 100 days of the Trump Administration as our own and putting all of our energy toward stopping Trump's attacks on our climate, our communities, and our jobs and advance our vision of new American economy that protects our planet and people.
It's more important than ever to stand up for what's right. Join your fellow Georgia Sierrans on the bus to D.C. More details to come! Let us know you're in by RSVPing below.
PLEASE VISIT EVENTBRITE TO RESERVE YOUR SEAT ON THE BUS!!
- Sunday, April 30, 2017, 10:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m. - Workers March on Washington, D.C. http://www.workersmarch.com/. Facebook page. Platform.
The Workers March will feature the first ever WORKERS WORLD FAIR! The Workers March is organizing an expo of organizations working for justice, our environment, equality and fair representation. This event is the first of its kind and will give marchers a unique opportunity to network and meet others who are ready to stand up. Get plugged into different groups and learn some new things, all before you march!
- NEW! Sunday, April 30, 2017, 11:30 am - Hall County. GRACE-Spring into Action: A Progressive Potluck at Longwood Park, Dogwood Pavilion. Want to learn more about how you can make a difference in your community? Interested in getting involved in local politics? Frustrated with partisan tribalism and the inability to have intelligent conversation? Or maybe you'd just like to gather with some awesome people and eat? Please bring a food or drink item and join us for fellowship in the park. Looking forward to seeing you there! Kim Copeland, Pres. Hall County Democrats and Arturo Adame, Hall County Young Dems are two of the guest speakers for the event.
- Monday, May 1, 2017 - Application DEADLINE, Camp Wellstone North Carolina. See application links at June 2-4, 2017.
- NEW! Monday, May 1, 11:00 am – Atlanta. May Day Rally. Atlanta Jobs with Justice and coalition partners are excited to organize the 2nd Annual #MAYDAYATL in 2017. This is a leftist mobilization in honor of May Day, International Worker’s Day. The resistance of working people is more critical this year than it has been all of our lives. Join in making the #MAYDAYATL 2017 a major moment for resistance and worker power this spring. Come to Atlanta City Hall (68 Mitchell St. SW, Atlanta, GA) for the rally and powerful mobilization in Atlanta. Artists, activists, workers, community members, families, friends, lovers: join in for a historic moment taking action on May Day and to join our movements for justice in Georgia and beyond. RSVP here. Facebook event page here.
- NEW! Monday, May 1, 2017, 6:30 p.m. - Fannin County Democratic Party Monthly Meeting at the Fannin County Senior Center. 6:30 – 7:00 Meet & Greet with finger food, 7:00 – 8:00 Meeting. Speaker: Rob Mishler – Greening Georgia Environmental Caucus, Georgia Democratic Party
- NEW! Sunday, May 7, 2017, 1:00-5:00 p.m. - Hall County Democrats’ Family Field Day will be held at the Martha Hope Cabin. Come and enjoy Games, Food, Fun, Speakers and entertainment. There will be numerous games and prizes for contestants of all ages. There will be a silent Auction. Dinner plates will be sold. Special Guest Speaker will be Ted Terry, Mayor of Clarkston, Ga. The Family Field Day will be in lieu of the May, monthly meeting.
- Thursday, May 18, 2017, 6:00 p.m. - Towns County Democratic Party next meeting is at the Civic Center next to the Elections Board office.
- Friday/Saturday, May 19-20, 2017 - Kennesaw. League of Women Voters Convention. Reception on the evening of Friday, May 19th for a Meet-N-Greet and all day Saturday, May 20th, starting at 8:30 am. To be held at the First United Lutheran Church of Kennesaw located at 3841 Campus Loop Rd., Kennesaw, 30144 for a full day of networking, learning and mobilizing. To register, visit here.
- Saturday-Sunday, May 13-14, 2017 - Raleigh, NC. Progressive Change Campaign Committee (PCCC) Candidate Training. Application.
"These next two years will be tough. But imagine if all of our speaking out, protesting in the streets, and engaging at town-hall meetings leads hundreds (or thousands) of progressives to win key seats for school board, town council, mayor, state legislature, and Congress in 2018 and 2020!...
"...candidates will learn the basics of media strategy, speaking on camera, volunteer recruitment, finding donors, raising money, messaging, polling, and other must-have campaign skills.
"We even offer a Campaign-In-A-Box -- a set of online tools that lets anyone easily set up a professional website, run campaign email programs, manage public images and press relations, and much more."
- Friday-Sunday, June 2-4, 2017 - Greensboro, N.C. Camp Wellstone North Carolina.
Camp Wellstone is for those interested in gaining practical skills in progressive political action. Apply for one of three tracks based on your role in progressive organizing: Campaign Management, Candidate, and Grassroots Organizer. Apply here. More about Camp Wellstone.
- NEW! Thursday, June 15, 2017 - Gilmer County. Josh McCall, 9th District Democratic candidate for the U.S. House, plans to speak to Gilmer Democrats on June 15. Check back for time and location to be posted.
- NEW! Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - Pickens County. Josh McCall, 9th District Democratic candidate for the U.S. House, plans to speak to Pickens County Democrats on June 15. Check back for time and location to be posted.
- Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 6th Congressional District Runoff Election for U.S. Congress. This election is to replace Rep. Tom Price, who was appointed to a position in the Trump administration. (The 6th District includes north Fulton County and adjacent parts of Cobb County and DeKalb County.)
To help the Democrat, Jon Ossoff, win in the 6th, go to the campaign website for Jon Ossoff.
- Thursday-Sunday, August 10-13, 2017 - Atlanta. Netroots Nation. Register here. Note the "Early Bird Local" fee!
"For more than a decade, Netroots Nation has hosted the largest annual conference for progressives, drawing thousands of attendees from around the country and beyond.
"Our attendees are online organizers, grassroots activists and independent media makers. Some are professionals who work at advocacy organizations, progressive companies or labor unions, while others do activism in their spare time. Attendees can choose from 80+ panels, 40+ training sessions, inspiring keynotes, caucuses, film screenings and lots of networking and social events."