Georgia 9th Congressional District
- Monday, September 16, 2019, 6:00 p.m. - Lumpkin County Democrats monthly meeting. Please join us at the United Community Bank meeting room, 206 Morrison Moore Pkwy W, Dahlonega, Georgia 30533. Our featured speaker is Jack Rogers, who will discuss Hemlock conservation efforts in Lumpkin County and the surrounding areas.
Pizza and salad provided by Holly and Frank. Donations are always welcome should you choose to dine with us during the meeting. Also please consider bringing your own reusable beverage cup. Click this RSVP button (Facebook page) to let us know you will be joining us.
- Monday, September 16, 2019, 7:00 p.m. - Forsyth County Democrats General Meeting at Hampton Park Library, 5345 Settingdown Road, Cumming 30041. Edward Ahmed Mitchell, Esq., Executive Director of the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) will address the members. All are welcome.
- Tuesday, September 17, 2019, 4:45 p.m. (TIME REVISED) - Habersham County. Stacey Abrams will be speaking at the Habersham Recreation Center, 120 Paul Franklin Road, Clarkesville, Georgia. She will be completing a tour of North Georgia that day and she wanted to end the day by meeting as many 9th District Democrats as possible. Habersham Dems will be co-hosting with the Dawson Dems.
The doors will open at 4:45 pm. Please be sure to be there early as seating is limited. We are asking for a donation from each attendee of $10 to cover the cost of the 2 rooms, security, advertising, refreshments and other items.
Her Fair Fight Action Team will be making a presentation at 5:15. While they are doing that, Stacey will be meeting with 9th District Candidates for 2019 and 2020. Because of security concerns names have to be on a list we provide. Please send Bette Holland the names of the County Chair and anyone in your county who is running for office who will attend this event. She will speak at or before 6:00 pm and will then conduct a photo line for all those who wish to do a “selfie” with her! We should be finished by 7:00 pm.
- Thursday, September 19, 2019, 6:00 p.m. - Gilmer County Democrats. Mountain Light UU Church, 2502 Tails Creek Rd, Ellijay, GA 30540-3553. Special guests are Scott Hogan, Executive Director, Democratic Party of Georgia, and Justin Pitts, Organizing Director, DPG. You don't want to miss this! Learn what you can do to help MAKE GA BLUE!! (You may RSVP on Facebook.) Hosted by Laura Sturgis, American Progressives of North Georgia.
- Thursday, September 19, 2019, 6:00 p.m. - Banks County Democrats. "There ARE Young Democrats in North Georgia. Come Meet Them!" Farm Bureau Building, 1337 McDonald Circle, Homer, GA.
Louis Elrod, Habersham Co. native, Past President of Young Democrats of America; Miranda Compton, Rabun Co. advisor, North Georgia Young Democrats (NGYD); Caleb Owens, Vice Chair of NGYD and interim chair of Stephens Co. Democratic Committee; Marisa Pyle of Lumpkin Co. and member of NGYD.
- Thursday, September 19, 2019, 6:30-8:00 p.m. - White County Democrats. White County Children's Health Forum. Panelists will take questions about children's healthcare access in Georgia (see the poster). Roy Ash Building, 153 East Kytle St., Cleveland, GA.
- Friday, September 20, 2019, 12:00–1:30 p.m. - Dawson County. Global Climate Strike (Facebook page). The Young Dems and Go Green Alliance at Dawson County High School will be sponsoring a "Strike for Climate Action" at the Dawsonville City Hall (415 Hwy 53, Dawsonville, 30534). They need your support! This is a worldwide action, and it is the same group which was founded by then 14 year old Greta Thunberg; in March 2019 she organized a “Strike” which drew over 160 cities and 1.4 Million young people to walk out of school and demand that adults start taking action on the Climate Crisis. She is from Sweden and is currently visiting the US; she led a strike outside the UN last week and is speaking at the UN Youth Summit on Sept. 21. Please put this rally on your calendar and get a team together that will come to support these young peoples’ efforts. If you would like to read more about the Strike, please go to https://strikewithus.org/#about. You will see that the Dawsonville event is on the map.
If you can get a few young people out of school for the day to attend, that would be great!! The young people have invited all the “older folks” to join them to make the greatest impact!! Hosted by North Georgia Conservation Coalition (Facebook page).
- Saturday, September 21, 2019, 10:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m. - White County. 9th District DPG Delegate Selection training. Holiday Inn Express, Helen, GA. Conference Room #3 (details to follow). Lunch on your own.
County Chairs meeting to follow the training, 1:30-3:00 p.m.
Committee Meetings, 3:00 pm to 5:00 pm.
HOSPITALITY ROOM AT 6 pm, UGA v. NOTRE DAME FOOTBALL WATCH PARTY at 8pm
A block of rooms has been reserved at a discounted rate of 189.00 per night (this is October fest season in Helen). Call 706-878-1084 and choose option 3 to speak to a local reservations clerk. Rooms are reserved under Quality Of Life / Democratic Delegate Training.
- Saturday, September 21, 2019 - Washington, D.C. We the People March. "Mission Statement: We the People are marching to be seen and heard. We are marching to remind our elected officials that they work for us. We are marching because the current regime is a threat to our democracy and values. We are marching to demand accountability. Silence and inaction are complicity."
See the website to sign up for the Washington march. See the map for other marches scheduled so far. (There is one beging organized in Atlanta.)
- Saturday, September 21, 2019, 6:00 p.m. - Richmond County. GADCC Public Service Award Dinner, Fatman’s At Enterprise Mill, 1450 Greene St., Ste 600, Augusta, GA 30901.
- Thursday, September 26, 2019, 6:00 - 8:00 p.m. - Athens-Clarke County Democrats. ACCDC September Meeting. Athens-Clarke County Library, 2025 Baxter St., Athens.
- Saturday, September 28, 2019, 11:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m. - Decatur, GA. Inaugural Georgia Candidate Convocation. 5301 Snapfinger Park Drive, Decatur, GA 30035. Are you part of a group or organization looking for progressive leaders to champion your issues? Are you a candidate seeking to enhance your understanding of the progressive landscape in Georgia?
We're excited to announce the first of its kind Georgia Candidate Convocation: an opportunity for announced, exploring, and incumbent candidates to meet and greet with Georgia's progressive network. Designed to kickstart relationship building between progressive groups and interested candidates ahead of 2020, this will be an opportunity to initiate meaningful conversations, become better informed on the issues that matter, and learn how to advocate effectively and responsibly. #GeorgiaConvo
Register here (by Sept. 20 to be counted for food): https://sites.google.com/view/gaconvocation/register
- Monday, October 7, 2019, 5:30-6:50 p.m. - Rabun County Democrats. Meeting at The NE GA Foodbank, Clayton. Teresa Pike Tomlinson, Mayor of Columbus Georgia will speak. Teresa is running in 2020 Democratic Primary for U.S. Senate, to run against Sen. David Perdue in November. https://teresatomlinson.com
- Saturday, October 12, 2019, 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. - Gwinnett County. Georgia Federation of Democratic Women Fall Luncheon. 6500 Sugarloaf Pkwy, Gwinnett Chamber of Commerce "The 1818 Club," Duluth, GA 30097. Our Gwinnett County Democratic Women Chapter is our Host Chapter for this Event. Our Speakers for the Luncheon will be Teresa Tomlinson, candidate for U.S. Senate, and Carolyn Bourdeaux, candiate for U.S. Congress.
Our theme for this year is "When Women Vote Women Win, Coming For 2020". By supporting our Fundraising Event you will help us provide resources to get Women elected to office. Please purchase a ticket or table, an ad, or both so that we can Win in 2020! Buy tickets here.
- Saturday, October 12, 2019, 7:00 p.m. - Jackson County Democrats invite all our surrounding counties to our Jackson County Signature Dinner Event. This is our major fundraiser for the year and will help us support candidates in the area over the coming year. Our featured speakers are Mayor Teresa Tomlinson and DPG Chair Nikema Williams. The event is held at the Jefferson Civic Center, 65 Kissam St, Jefferson, GA 30549. Please let your members know they can purchase tickets from any JCDC member or online at https://www.jcdcga.org/signature-event.
- Saturday, October 19, 2019 - Forsyth County. DPG State Committee meeting. Place and time to be announced.
- Saturday, October 19, 2019, 3:00 p.m. - Ellijay, GA. American Progressives Potluck hosted by Linda/Joe Ragland. Come join us for a Progressive Potluck! Bring an appetizer, salad, main dish, or dessert!! Also, BYOB!!! (Alcohol or drinks). 9571 Chatsworth Hwy, Ellijay, GA 30540-0292
From Ellijay Roundabout: Enter roundabout and take the exit onto GA-2/GA-52, aka Chatsworth Highway. It will have a sign for Fort Mountain State Park. (It is 15 miles to our house.) Cross the Murray County line, (It gets steep & curvy here), then you will pass Fort Mountain Estates subdivision also on the right. Just past that on the left is Global Youth Ministries (used to be Cohutta Lodge). Past that on the right is the fire station. Continue up and over the hill and on the right, you will see and turn right into “BEAR PATH ESTATES”. Pass the driveway to your immediate left just inside the gate and continue a short distance and turn left on “DANCING BEAR TRAIL”. It is the first named road turning left. Continue on this road until you come to our gates and a paved driveway. There is parking in the wide part of the driveway before you get to the house.
- Tuesday, October 22, 2019, 5:30 p.m. - Atlanta. Democratic Party of Georgia’s State Dinner. Hyatt Regency Atlanta, 265 Peachtree St NE, Atlanta, Georgia 30303. Facebook page. Reception 5:30 p.m., dinner 7:00 p.m. Ticket sales begin September 3. Tables are $1500. Individual ticket prices for county committee members, Yellow Dog club members, etc. are $150.
Georgia is a battleground state for 2020. This year’s State Dinner is a unique opportunity to show our party’s strength as we prepare for national attention during the presidential, Senate, and congressional races next year, in addition to our efforts at the state level. Details TBA.
- Saturday, October 26, 2019, 1:00-4:00 p.m. - Union County. Towns County Democrats Blue Fest at Meeks Park, Blairsville (in the newest pavilion, past tennis courts). Music, food and speakers. Bring a friend! Questions?
- Saturday, October 26, 2019, 1:00-3:00 p.m. - Athens-Clarke County. Census & Redistricting Townhall. Common Cause GA is hitting the road with our partners from the GA Redistricting Alliance to host a series of townhalls in each Georgia Congressional District! Each organization is working to educate the public on the upcoming census, how it impacts funding and redistricting, how gerrymandering impacts the process, and what you can do to help! Athens-Clarke County Library, 2025 Baxter St, Athens, Georgia 30606. You may RSVP here (Facebook page).
- Monday, November 4, 2019, 5:30-6:50 p.m. - Rabun County Democrats. Meeting at The NE GA Foodbank, Clayton. Candidates running in the Georgia 9th.
- Tuesday, March 24, 2020 - Georgia Presidential Primary.